Sunday, November 30, 2014

Goal for 2015: Finish or Frog

So I've got a bunch of unfinished knitting/crochet (mostly knitting) projects (aka "Works in Progress" or WIPs).  Many of these have been sitting untouched ("hibernating") for more than a year... some for far longer than that.  I can blame pregnancy complications and early motherhood for the past year (I wasn't able to work on anything between about August/September 2013 and September/October 2014), but not for much of the time before that.

Anyway, the time has come.  I am sick of having so many unfinished projects around - so I have decided that by the end of 2015 I need to go through all of those hibernating projects (currently 19 -- though possibly adding the 2 that are currently active WIPs) and make a serious decision: finish it? or rip it out (i.e. "frog" it) to reclaim the yarn?

If I choose to frog the project, I have to commit to doing that and actually get it done, or it'll keep sitting in my closet taking up space, using up a set of needles or a hook, possibly holding on tight to stitch markers or other notions.  

With 19 projects to sift through, I'm going to set a minimum pace of reviewing 3 per month, so that I will have gotten through (almost) all of them by the end of June to decide how I'm going to proceed with each.

Knowing me, I'll be somewhat paralyzed by the "what if" ... specifically "what if I regret frogging that?" though I can't think of any scenario off-hand where I might wish I still had a specific project on the needles when I hadn't worked on it in so long.  The other factors that may slow me down with my decisionmaking are sentimentality and my dislike of wasted time/work.

For example, some projects are ones that I think of fondly as "firsts" and I really would like to finish them, especially with the amount of time I put into them, but there are other circumstances that get in the way -- such as the shawl/wrap that I'm about halfway through but that is so heavily and intricately cabled that I can't figure out what row I left off on, and being the perfectionist I am, I don't dare try to restart work for fear of starting in the wrong place in the pattern.  I'm sentimental about this project, being also that it's the one that got me started with serious cabling (which I've since gotten over entirely), and it was the one that got me out to a specific local yarn store for the first time.

Hopefully, throughout the year, I'll be posting these various projects here with discussion about my thought process in deciding whether to finish or frog, and then progress photos.

As many of the projects are small, I should have no trouble finishing them if I choose.  However, some of the projects are significantly larger in size (e.g. blankets, sweaters, etc) and I'm going to allow myself leeway on finishing those.  Rather than requiring myself to finish them (if that's the option I choose), I'm going to require myself to make steady progress.

In the meantime, my goal for December is to finish the two crocheted blankets I started on over a year ago (one July 2013, one November 2012) and have already picked back up this year.  I'm close to finishing one of them, and the other might end up as a 20th WIP for the 2015 project... but at least I already know I WANT to finish it!

This is going to be a tough goal for me, but it should be doable.  Wish me luck, and keep me accountable! 

No comments: