So my Mac is apparently dying a very slow and painful death.
First symptom: iTunes and iPhoto started having trouble loading (and would freeze rather than load the databases... which happened to be stored on the external drive).
Second symptom: the external drive fell into an existential depression. That's right, it decided it didn't exist anymore. While the fan keeps running, it shows no other sign of life.
Third symptom: tonight, the Mac took about 20 minutes to start up, during which it asked me no fewer than twice to log in (initial log in, not the kind of log in prompt you get after being idle for a while).
Fourth and most recent symptom: the dock, on load, had reverted to the default dock, with no apparent means of restoring my old preferences.
I think it's time to lay this machine to rest and get a new one. The question then becomes:
Do I buy a replacement that's simply the current model of what I had (Mac Mini)?
Do I invest a little more in a regular desktop model?
Do I splurge for a notebook model?
...
or do I go bargain basement and get a cheap PC?
I'm thinking the Mac Mini is probably the right option... but I really should consider whether I can afford better (cuz if I can, it does sometimes pay to spend a little more to get a machine that'll do more and be reliable for longer... or be portable...)
I hate decisions.
Friday, March 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment