Tuesday, September 29, 2009

DMV Bureaucracy Sucks.

Ok, so when I got married, I changed my name on my license. I took on my maiden name as a second middle name. The DMV was fine with that.

I tried to change my name on my vehicle registration, but because I'm not the title holder (that'd be my bank), they wouldn't allow me to change it. I had to go through the bank. So when I went through the bank, gave them the forms already filled out (along with the address change cuz I'd moved to northern california by then), the DMV sent me a new registration with my new name.

But they didn't put my maiden name as a second middle name. Instead, they squished it together with my last name.

I went in to the DMV to request this be corrected. They said the issue was merely a spacing one, and that they were unwilling to fix it because of that. I growled, went back to the bank, tried to get it fixed through them, and the response back was that the vehicle registration system apparently wasn't set up to handle multiple middle names.

So I let it go. Until DH and I moved and bought a new-to-us car and registered it in person. As the title holders, we could do that. The lady behind the counter was so nice and when I told her about the annoyance of the last attempt to get my name right, she explained about the Only 3 Name thing again, and I understood but was still frustrated -- but she was happy to squish the two middle names together. I much preferred that.

Because of the move, I changed my address with the DMV again (as required). I thought I also changed it on the registration via the bank.

The other day, I received my registration renewal notice 3 days after we received the one for our owned car. They're both due the same day (what a stroke of luck! feh), so likely were both sent on the same day.

The problem? Mine had been sent to our old address. It had my second middle name and my last name squished together, and I'm sure the post office didn't have fun trying to figure out whether I really was the person they were supposed to be forwarding mail for.

So now I get to try to deal with the bank and the DMV to update my name and my address on my vehicle registration, all cuz the car's not paid off yet (and won't be for a few more years yet). As proven with our owned car, if I could do this all at the DMV myself, it would work beautifully. But because I'm required to go through a third party, and they merely fax the forms in to the DMV (maybe the DMV would let me walk in with notarized forms? I'd be ok with that...), so any errors aren't discovered until way too late...

And to top it off, I'm feeling like I've been run over by a ton of bricks today. I no wanna deal.

Fun times.

No comments: