Friday, April 11, 2008

As mentioned in passing...

Here are the materials for my first self-designed project -- a cotton scarf.

My first attempt at the scarf (using #5 needles) turned out to be a bit stiff, so I went back to Michael's for larger needles (and more yarn). I now have 13-inch bamboo needles in sizes 5, 7, 9, and 10.5, and 14-inch needles in size 11.

My second attempt was using the #11 needles. WAY too loose. Would probably make a reasonable afghan, but not a scarf.

So now I'm using the needles that the yarn itself recommended -- #7. I've taken photos of the progress so far, but as I'm procrastinating on leaving for work and I'm already late I haven't yet uploaded them, so those will have to come later.

But I can tell you the pattern I've devised.

Cast on: 46 stitches
1st Row: k5 p4 ** k4 p4 ** (repeat btwn ** until 5 stitches remain) k5
2nd Row: knit the knits, purl the purls
Repeat rows 1 & 2 ad nauseum, or until desired length is reached.

It's getting a very nice ribbed effect, almost like a corrugated scarf.

But now, enough procrastination. Off to work.

4 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

I didn't know you were a knitter! Welcome welcome, oh very welcome to the family!

Silas Humphreys said...

Until very recently, she wasn't. She's only lately taken it up, and is already doing plenty!

Kendra ("the LA") @ Work said...

Already mostly finished a pouch for Silas -- all that's left is felting it, stitching on a button, and cutting a button hole. Then Silas can use it for carrying all sorts of faire stuff.

My other current project is a cotton scarf that Silas has already attempted to lay claim on, even though it is (at most) 1/3 of the way done and has a minimum of 3 human errors (knit instead of purled, or vice versa) that prove it wasn't machine-made...
I should have enough of that yarn left to either make a matching cap or a similar scarf for me. We'll see.

Next I really want to make a shawl. I've got this great wool, but no patterns that I like that are for beginners... though I may be able to handle more patterns once that "Knitting Rules!" book arrives (supposed to be today -- Silas, is it there yet?) so that I can understand what the patterns mean when they use certain abbreviations...

But anyway, I should go back to doing stuff that looks like I might be working, even though I've got nothing to do...

Vivienne said...

So glad the knitting is working out, and that I didn't drown you in words (I've been in report-writing mode all week, and it's not over yet).

I had one of those days today, when I felt like I was wearing an invisible badge saying "over-caffeinated and under-motivated", and all my usual ways of looking like I was working failed. I have the power to make websites crash just by thinking about them, you see - first the Royal Mail, then the Planning Inspectorate.