A few disclosures up-front:
- I just finished watching Unborn in the U.S.A., a documentary about the pro-life movement in America, presented very evenhandedly. Someone on the opposite side of the issue from me would probably also consider the film to be evenhanded. That says a lot to me. That said, the film has caused a reaction in me that I can't hold back.
- My political views tend toward libertarian (little "l" -- the official party doesn't express my views well, which is part of why I haven't registered as Libertarian). With respect to pretty much any issue I can think of, I'm very strongly pro-choice, but also strongly pro-information. It's important to have a variety of options available, as well as a plethora of available information in order to make meaningful educated choices. One without the other is useless.
My comments here are primarily for those who may consider themselves "pro-life" in that they support the re-criminalization of abortion and the overturn of Roe v. Wade.
My comments are not about the anti-abortion extremists who will kill in order to prevent abortions. I do understand that those who really consider themselves pro-life generally aren't fans of these killers, and don't support their actions.
Let's first address methods. If you really want to prevent abortion, re-criminalization won't accomplish the goal. All it will do is send women back into the dark backalley clinics where they'll risk death or other serious consequences. Rather than "killing babies", you'll wind up with both mother AND child dead. I assume this is not your goal. It's sad, but it is an inevitable consequence of simple re-criminalization.
Holding protests in which you display posters of grotesque fetal body parts will not convince any woman in a "crisis pregnancy" not to have an abortion. It will upset passersby, it will scar children for life, and it could incite riots. Personally, if I was debating whether to have an abortion and I saw those photos, I might think "ew, that's what's in there? get it out!! that's icky!!" Kidding, of course, but I could totally see that being a reaction. Again, not the reaction you're looking for. And you don't want me getting into my rant about how you have no proof that those were viable fetuses aborted - they were collected from a trash bin by people who had no history with the fetuses. As far as they know, these could've been dead in the womb. But we won't go there.
Likewise, lecturing people without their consent or condemning people, calling them names, or just shouting at them... not going to do it either. All it's going to do is make them suspicious of you and your motives.
If you truly want to prevent abortions - require education and information.
What struck me the most by the film I just watched was the Post-Abortion movement. These women are banded together as "victims" who regret having had abortions. Their stories are all sad, but they're also all very disturbing to me in that they all contained the same elements: lack of information. Many of these stories included clinics specifically disallowing information, as part of the clinic's policies.
Here's my feeling on that:
If the mother wants to see the ultrasound - LET HER. In fact, any woman who wants an abortion should be encouraged to have an ultrasound first (her choice, of course, but availability and awareness of available information is what's important here).
Any woman in a "crisis pregnancy" where abortion is being considered as an option should be given the facts about the emotional consequences of abortion. Of course, she should also be given the facts about the emotional (and legal, and practical) consequences of adoption. AND she should be given the facts about the emotional/legal/practical consequences of choosing to raise the child herself.
There should also be support available for after-care. I've heard a lot of complaint recently about the lack of support available for birthmothers post-adoption. While it's possible that there's better support available for women post-abortion, I get the feeling that it's not well advertised or common for women to receive such care.
And here's the really big, important part. The one that seems more controversial even than abortion itself.
If you want to prevent abortions, you must first try to prevent the unwanted pregnancies.
Yes, this means education to the youth. It doesn't have to be in schools; but if the parents aren't doing it, then these kids are suffering a grave disservice unless the schools step in.
I agree that Abstinence is the best way to avoid unwanted pregnancies. However, we have proof of how well Abstinence-Only Education works. Areas in which Abstinence is the only method of pregnancy-prevention ever taught are the areas that seem to have the highest teen-pregnancy rates. Clearly, they're not abstaining.
Instead, teach them. Give them the ugly truth. Teach them about prevention - but also teach them about consequences.
Teach them about condoms and hormone pills and various other options and devices, and the risks (and comparative effectiveness) of each. Teach them about the various different STDs, and how pills or condoms or other options (including, of course, abstinence) change the risk of getting each.
It's especially important to teach the young women about pregnancy. The stages, the symptoms, the physical and emotional benefits and consequences and risks... the expense, the medical tests, etc... and teach them about their options (abort, relinquish, or parent). Yes, even at this stage before the pregnancy happens.
Why? Because maybe if these young women knew for themselves that the emotional consequences of abortion or adoption would not work for them, then maybe they'll be more careful about avoiding the pregnancy in the first place. Heck, they may even choose abstinence.
But this sort of understanding doesn't come out of being shouted at or preached at or called names. It comes from the availability of and access to information.
...
Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
If I've offended anyone, perhaps you should take a moment to think about what offended you and why -- and maybe it's time to rethink how you view the world around you.
Please join me next time while I try to find another topic to offend everyone in some way by not spouting any particular party-line... ;)
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with you. I am pro-life, but I'm not entirely sure that I want to see R Vs. W overturned. I would much rather work to prevent people from resorting to abortions rather than outlaw the act itself. You have a nice blog!
Post a Comment