Friday, January 2, 2009

Considering Stash

I've decided I need a new outlook in regards to handling my stash. This whole embargo thing, while it may sound good on the surface, and may be well-intended... well, it's not really making me happy.

I've found the big problem with the embargo is that I have a whole ton of yarn taking up space that doesn't make me happy and doesn't inspire me to knit. I've only got a little yarn that inspires me. Of course, I was good with the embargo conditions, that it doesn't require me to use up my stash before restashing... but it has gotten me into a mindset that's not helping my overall feeling toward my stash.

A couple threads on Ravelry pointed me toward this article on "Slow Stashing". I've already started reviewing my stash as listed on Ravelry and moving a few more items over to the Trade page (for trades only, not for sale) that otherwise I'd be keeping in my stash simply because I didn't feel like I could ask dollar amounts that'd make the shipping cost worthwhile.

This in part came about because I just completed my first BIG trade. Or, rather, I just delivered a huge box of yarn to the post office and I expect to receive one in return in about one week's time. I'm getting rid of around 8 pounds of mostly acrylics (as well some cotton blends and one wool) that I was probably never going to get around to knitting, and getting in return a bunch of alpaca and a skein of superwash wool. Doing this made me happy in ways I never would have expected. So the ideas brought forth in the "Slow Stashing" article just made absolute perfect sense to me.

When I get home, I'm going to physically sort my stash and make sure I've got everything listed (and listed accurately) and sorted into "happy" and "unhappy". I'm also actively looking into Yarn Wanted listings, peoples' wishlists, etc, to see about re-homing some of my yarn to people more likely to appreciate it. Over the weekend I'll probably also try to look into trades (which are more complicated to get started)...

I think I'm also going to try to overcome the sweater anxiety and actually cast on a cardigan or pullover. Just have to decide which of my (already planned) projects to do... :)

No comments: