Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Deco Dilemma...

So I received my new Deco (LB Homespun) yarn in the mail yesterday. It's beautiful and in good condition -- but it's very obviously a different dye lot when set near my older Deco.

The question now becomes the following. Do I:
1) Keep the new Deco for another project and hunt out more Deco from the same dye lot as my old one? (not difficult to find -- apparently LB Homespun dye lots are huge and get distributed all over the country before a new dye lot is needed)
2) Frog the Deco from the last square of my afghan (which had gotten exactly half-way through the Deco portion before I ran too low to continue) and use the new Deco to complete the afghan?
3) Remind myself it's my first afghan and imperfections (which I already have several of) are to be expected... and just continue on with the non-matching-but-similar color?
Newly Added 4th Option! 4) Ignore the square I've started but not finished -- maybe bind it off or slip it to a stitch holder -- and start a new square fresh. It'll mean I may be short on the blue yarn (unlikely but possible), but it'll mean no frogging or need to hunt for more of the Deco dye lot before I can get back to finishing the afghan...

I could really use any suggestions people have to offer! Maybe I should cross-post this to Ravelry... though I'm sure I'll get opinions across the board, and I'd rather get opinions from people I know/trust/etc...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the color difference enough and are you at a point where you could consider it an intentional design element?

Kendra said...

The colors are both creamy, but one's a bit more yellow than the other.

The afghan is made with 35 squares. I've completed 14 of them, and sewn them together in ways where the creamy color portion that touches other creamy color portions only have to do so where the dye lot is the same.

I have no issue with making the remaining sections with the slightly-different shade... though maybe it would look odd having it just that slightly different (it's different enough that right next to each other it'd be noticeable, but I'm not sure about how noticeable it'd be with blue between).

My biggest worry is about this one piece where it's going to be half-and-half, with no barrier between the two hues of cream. I think it's different enough to be obvious, but similar enough to look like it *should* have been the same...

Oh, a 4th option exists that I just thought of. I'll add it to the main post...