Sunday, May 18, 2008

Procrastinating on packing...

This move has turned into what I can best describe as a Fiasco.

New information learned about our new apartment made the apartment completely undesirable, so we have canceled that lease prior to moving. This meant I had to call back all the utility companies and cancel the installation of such utilities. I accomplished that yesterday.

Also yesterday we got approved for a new apartment that's significantly nicer but also significantly more expensive... ... and we haven't seen it yet. But even worse than that, it won't actually be available until Saturday (24 May).

... the movers are coming to pick up our stuff on Tuesday (20 May) and were scheduled to deliver to the former new apartment on Wednesday or Thursday. ... I called them yesterday but the service department had already closed for the day, so a message was taken and I was assured they'll call back today. I certainly hope they do. This move is stressful enough as is.

We cannot delay the move-out as our existing place has already been re-rented and needs to be available for the new tenant by 1 June, which means the landlord needs the time after we've left to clean up the place. We're good tenants so there's not a heck of a lot of cleaning to do, but as they'll probably want to steam-clean the carpets and repaint the walls, they'll probably need the whole time just for getting workers into the apartment...

So what do we do between 20 May and 24 May? Rather than the planned Unpacking and Settling In, we'll be staying with my parents. Our poor kitties are going to have to deal with what will feel like 2 moves in one week. Sheba will enjoy the adventure, I'm sure. But Graham seems to distrust change. He may not come out from under the bed in the new new place until mid-August.

... I was already having trouble motivating myself to actually get some packing done. This little fiasco has simply multiplied that difficulty tenfold. Sigh.